Some Good Things to Know
1. If you set yourself a task and you don’t quit, eventually you will be successful. You don’t need to stress out about how you are going to get from point A to point B. All you really need to do is have faith in yourself and know that you can do whatever you set out to do, no matter how difficult it looks or feels at the start.
2. Sleeping is the key to a good high school career. Staying up until one or two a.m. to cram for a test or finish homework might be ok once in a while, but in general, you should go to sleep earlier. I know this from experience. If you don’t get a good night’s sleep, you’re probably not going to be at full potential the next day.
3. Study, study, study! I now that when you have seven classes with two papers each and a few assignments plus chores from your loving parents (or the demonic psychopaths you have to call Mommy and Daddy) you might get a little stressed. With a few hours of studying each day, however, your life can be ten times easier—you’ll do better on tests and you won’t have to work as hard to make good grades. Of course, it sucks that my parents and teachers were right about that. Really.
Tips For Dealing with Personal Issues
1. Don’t give up on yourself, no matter what you are going through. There is never a situation where there is no hope. Just because you don’t see the light doesn’t mean it’s not there. It just means you are going to have to look a little harder to see it.
2. Don’t lie to yourself. If you are in trouble or if you are over your head in something, ask for help. Do not deny reality or pretend things are better than they are. I know it’s hard sometimes to accept that things can be better or that they will actually be better. Asking for help is step-one in solving any problem or reducing pain. Don’t go it alone, ask for help. It works.
3. Don’t lash out at your friends when they tell you what’s wrong or when they offer help. Sometimes a friend’s hand is just what you need. Sometimes a hug or an invitation to an evening out can change everything.